Friday, January 30, 2009

All that she wants is another bab-eh eh eh eh

If you haven't yet heard, that wife of mine is all knocked up. So, pending a paternity test, it looks as if I will be a dad around August. I will use this forum to express my feelings from time to time. All preggers related updates will be made on this entry. I intend to update them around the time of each doctor visit, starting with the day I found out. For a complete baby blog, visit http://www.sonesbaby.blogspot.com/


Hey, guess what!?!?!

So I will always remember Thursday, December 4th, as the day I received my Garmin GPS from Amazon.com. I know what you're thinking: "Chad, why do you need a GPS? You're like a walking compass." Well, I routinely fall in the traps of trendy technology and marketing ploys. I arrived home that evening after just completing the highlight of my day, the 90 minute commute. I walked into the house saying "Dude, Tracy, come look how cool this Garmin is. It can tell me where I am, it can locate hotels, it can love, it can even...." That's when I noticed Tracy standing with a look of concern. My immediate thought was that she had broken my 2006 Rose Bowl DVD and she was going to have a new black-eye to explain to the neighbors. Luckily, it was something far less serious. Tracy proceeded to relay that she had just tested positive on 2 preggers tests. Up until this point, I had no idea that she was even late or that this was something that she had thought was occurring. Still, I became excited, we hugged, and she kissed me (reminding me of how drop dead gorgeous she finds me).

Several thoughts began swirling in my head. When will this zygote be born? Would my child prefer to play in the NFL or be a rockstar? Hasn't Tracy been drinking a handle of Tequila a night for the past 6 months? If it's a boy, will we name him Darren Woodson Sones? If it's a girl, will we name her Toni Romo Sones? If it's a hermie, will we name it Michael Hutchison Sones? It's a truly exciting time and that's the day I began my long journey into fatherhood.



Wait...that's an Ultrasound???

Over the past 3 weeks I've suffered from Migraines, a nasty stomach virus, and the Shingles. I can only assume that I will battle Smallpox and Polio in February. The good news is that my knocked up wife only caught my nasty stomach virus. Judging by the sounds I heard coming from the bathroom, I became concerned that she had already hatched our child without knowing. So Tracy went in for a check-up without me this week, but I couldn't help but to recall our first check-up.

Upon arrival to our first meeting with the Doctor, I felt a bit out of place. His office is located within a Women's clinic and I felt like all the women inside were staring at me and judging me because I had the wrong type of anatomy to be in this building. Still, I fought through it with the anticipation of seeing my fetus for the first time.

After some brief small talk with our doctor, he asked Tracy to please remove her pants. My initial reaction was to stand up and punch him in the forehead. Then I thought "he's not a bad looking older man, I'm open minded, let's see where he's going with this." But he then explained that we would be doing this Ultrasound in the form of a TVP. As a medical recruiter I was all too familiar with this procedure, better known as the Trans-Vaginal Probe. He proceeded to lube up a giant wand that I knew I couldn't compete with. As the procedure began, I gave Tracy a quick wink and a mischievous smile.

At the first glimpse of my fetus, I stood up and yelled "my child has no legs and looks like a shell-less snapping turtle!" The doctor then calmed me down and explained that it hasn't developed all it's parts yet. It's heartbeat was beating faster than Jason Zantjer's in a field sobriety test. The rate was around 170 per minute which often means girl but we'll see. We go back in a couple of weeks and get to do an over-the-belly Ultrasound which seems less exciting for Tracy but more relaxing for me.

No comments: